Lincoln Town Car Code Diagnosis
The most frequent trouble code with the Lincoln Town Car The Code P0455. This code is used to refer to the number given when you connect your Town Car to an OBDII scanner. The code P0455 indicates that there are a problem. Large leak It is part of the evaporative emission controller system. This code is often found with or related to P0420,P0441 and, very frequently, P0440.
Normally, P0455 does not pose a threat to your Town Car's driveability. Certainly anytime the service engine soon light is on, it’s good to deal with it as soon as possible though. The P0442 is usually included. For more information, see Lincoln Town Car P0442 OBDII code.
Lincoln Town Car Definition P0455
P0455 refers to a general OBDII trouble code. The code can be used regardless of the make and model of the vehicle. The code is technically:
System Gross Leak – Evaporative Emission System
The EVAP system collects fuel vapor from your fuel tank, and then sends it to the intake of the engine to ignite the combustion process. When there is a large leak in the Lincoln Town Car’s EVAP system, it will throw the P0455 OBDII Code.
Lincoln Town Car OBDII Code Symptoms
A P0455 Code will usually not cause any symptoms except the ones listed below. The smell of gas The service engine soon light. It is possible to notice a slight dip in fuel economy.
The fuel tank and fuel filler tubes should smell particularly strong.
The EVAP process deals with fuel vapors directly. If these vapors are leaking from the system, you’ll often smell them faintly while operating the vehicle.
Trouble code for the Town Car P0455
The P0455 Trouble Code can be triggered in Lincoln Town Cars by many factors. These are some of the more common issues that can trigger the P0455 trouble code in your Lincoln Town Car:
- Hose of the Evap System– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. The P0455 error code will be generated. It should be checked for tears or holes. This is the main problem that can cause the code.
- Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0455 code is the vapor canister purge valve. It’s really easy to replace. You will need to locate and take out a few clips.
- A Faulty Canister of Charcoal– The charcoal canister is often the cause of P0455.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the gasket that attaches the fuel sending unit to the gas tank to go bad. It can lower the tank pressure, which could throw out the code.
- Fuel Cap– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. Often, you’ll get a message informing you that the fuel cap is off even when it is on. It may be worth your time to get that message and a P0455 to ensure you don't waste any money.
- Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. The gasket may dry out especially if the vehicle is in dry conditions. When it dries out, the fuel tank can’t hold pressure anymore.
P0455 Diagnostics- Lincoln Town Car
To diagnose the problem with your Lincoln Town Car's P0455, a mechanic can use a variety of tools. The most commonly used methods to diagnose this code are:
- The mechanic will usually check for any additional trouble codes. A mechanic will usually check for additional trouble codes to help diagnose the problem. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.
- The mechanic will normally determine what trouble codes are associated with P0455. Check out the EVAP System. It includes the purge valve and line as well as the canister.
- To ensure that the cap can withstand pressure, the mechanic will check it. If you are getting a warning that your gas cap is off, even when it’s on, replacing it will more than likely clear this code.
- Monitoring and checking the fuel tank pressure is a must.
- Following the inspections and repairs, the mechanic will conduct two more tests.
- A smoke test, and they’ll use a scan tool to confirm that the EVAP solenoids and valves are operating properly.
Here’s a pretty good video on diagnosing these leaks from Scotty Kilmer, if you are interested:
While the trouble code may state that there is a “large leak” in the EVAP system of your Lincoln Town Car, the actual leak will most likely still look rather small. The “large” really is referring to how much pressure is being lost.
The Most Popular P0455 Fixes
These are some of the most popular Town Car P0455 Fixes:
- Replacing the gas cap
- Replacing EVAP lines
- Replace charcoal canister
- Change the fuel tank
It is best to begin with the gas cap, and then work your way up to the fuel tanks. The gas cap is the most difficult and cost-effective item to replace.
Here’s a great video on How to check your gas cap.
We wish you all the best in finding out the reason your Lincoln Town Car is giving off this P0455 code. We trust this helped. Please feel free to add anything below.
Do you consider P0455 to be a serious concern?
While P0455 is not going to cause the Town Car’s engine to stop running, it should not be treated lightly. Fuel leaks could be a problem. Check your tank regularly to make sure there is no fuel leaking. It is best to have it checked and treated immediately.
Leave a Reply