Kia Soul P0446: EVAP Vent Control Circuit → Malfunction
This is one of the most commonly encountered trouble codes for the Kia Soul The Code P0446. This trouble code is the number given to your Soul when it's plugged in to an OBDII scanner. The code P0446 indicates that the evaporative emission controller system is failing. You may see it along with the following codes: P0421, P0441 or P0440.
P0446: Evaporative Emission Control System → Vent Control Circuit → Malfunction
The P0446 problem is not usually a serious threat to your car's driveability. Certainly anytime the service engine soon light is on, it’s good to deal with it as soon as possible though. This is usually accompanied by P0442. A common problem code is P0420.
Kia Soul P0446 OBDII Symptoms
The P0446 code is usually not accompanied with any obvious symptoms. You will see the light on your service engine shortly, but this is typically it. A slight drop in fuel economy is not uncommon. A slight gas smell may be caused by P0446. Because it is related to the fuel vapors system, P0446 may also cause a slight gas smell.
Kia Soul Meaning P0446
The universal OBDII code P0446 can be used to diagnose trouble codes. The code can be used regardless of the make and model of the vehicle. The code is technically:
Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction
The EVAP captures any fuel vapor in the fuel tank, and transmits them to engines intake for ignition. If the EVAP control circuit vent control circuit does not respond to the ECU it will throw the OBDII code P0446 and the service engine light soon will illuminate.
Soul P0446 Trouble code Causes
Many things can trigger the P0446 code in Kia Soul. These are some of the more common reasons that the code will be triggered:
- Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0446 code is the vapor canister purge valve. It’s really easy to replace. There are some clips you will need to look for and then remove.
- EVAP System Hose– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. The P0446 code will be generated. It should have a hole or tear.
- A Faulty Canister of Charcoal– The charcoal canister is often the cause of P0446.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the fuel tank sending unit to go bad. This could cause line pressure to drop and throw off the code.
- Capacity for Fuel– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. Often, you’ll get a message informing you that the fuel cap is off even when it is on. You may not get the message but a P0446. This will save you time and money.
- Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. The gasket may dry out especially if the vehicle is in dry conditions. When it dries out, the fuel tank can’t hold pressure anymore.
P0446 Diagnostics- Kia Soul
The mechanic will have a lot of different tools at his disposal in order to determine the cause of your P0446 Kia Soul. The most commonly used methods to diagnose this code are:
- The mechanic will check for other codes. It is easier to diagnose problems if there are more codes. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.
- The mechanic will normally determine what trouble codes are associated with P0446. Check out the EVAP System. These include the line and purge valve.
- A mechanic will examine the gas cap and verify that it is able to withstand high pressure. If you are getting a warning that your gas cap is off, even when it’s on, replacing it will more than likely clear this code.
- Monitoring and checking the fuel tank pressure is a must.
- The mechanic will then perform the following tests after completing the above-mentioned checks:
- A smoke test, and they’ll use a scan tool to confirm that the EVAP solenoids and valves are operating properly.
The Most Popular P0446 Fixes
These are some of the more common Soul P0446 fix:
- Replacement of gas cap
- Replacing EVAP lines
- Replace charcoal canister
- Replacing the fuel tank
You should start with the gas caps and move on to the fuel tanks. This is because the gas caps are the easiest to replace and the least costly.
Here’s a great video on How to test your gas tank.
You will need to find the cause of your Kia Soul throwing the code P0446. We trust this helped. Please leave us a comment below if you have any suggestions. Enjoy your day.
Leave a Reply