Kia Soul Code Diagnosis
The most frequent trouble code with the Kia Soul The Code P0455. The trouble code refers to a number you receive when your Soul is plugged into an OBDII scanner. If there's a problem, P0455 means that it is. Large leak It is part of the evaporative emission controller system. This code is often found with or related to P0420,P0441 and, very frequently, P0440.
The P0455 issue is not usually a threat to your Soul's driveability. Certainly anytime the service engine soon light is on, it’s good to deal with it as soon as possible though. It's often associated with P0442. More information is available at Kia Soul OBDII Code P0442
Kia Soul P0455 Definition
P0455 refers to a general OBDII trouble code. The code can be used regardless of the make and model of the vehicle. Technically, the code stands for:
System Gross Leak – Evaporative Emission System
The EVAP system collects fuel vapor from fuel tanks and then sends it to the intake of the engine to ignite the combustion process. When there is a large leak in the Kia Soul’s EVAP system, it will throw the P0455 OBDII Code.
Kia Soul OBDII Code Symptoms
A P0455 Code will usually not cause any symptoms except the ones listed below. Smells like gas The service engine soon light. It is possible to notice a slight dip in fuel economy.
The fuel filler tube or around the fuel tank should smell particularly strong.
The EVAP system is responsible for fuel vapors. If these vapors are leaking from the system, you’ll often smell them faintly while operating the vehicle.
Soul P0455 Trouble code Causes
Many things can trigger the P0455 code in Kia Soul. These are some of the more common issues that can trigger the P0455 trouble code in your Kia Soul.
- Hose of the Evap System– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. The P0455 error code will be generated. It should be checked for tears or holes. This is the leading cause of code.
- Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0455 code is the vapor canister purge valve. It’s really easy to replace. There are some clips you will need to look for and then remove.
- A Faulty Canister of Charcoal– The charcoal canister is often the cause of P0455.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the gasket that attaches the fuel sending unit to the gas tank to go bad. It can lower the tank pressure, which could throw out the code.
- Fuel Cap– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. Often, you’ll get a message informing you that the fuel cap is off even when it is on. You may not get the message but a P0455. This will save you time and money.
- Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. It is possible for this gasket to dry, particularly if vehicles spend a lot of time in dry environments. When it dries out, the fuel tank can’t hold pressure anymore.
P0455 Diagnostics- Kia Soul
To diagnose the problem with your Kia Soul's P0455, a mechanic can use a variety of tools. These are some of the common diagnostics that can be done for the code
- The mechanic will check to make sure there are no other codes. A mechanic will usually check for additional trouble codes to help diagnose the problem. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.
- Once the mechanic has determined the trouble codes associated with P0455, he or she will usually Check out the EVAP System. These include the line and purge valve.
- To ensure that the cap can withstand pressure, the mechanic will check it. If you are getting a warning that your gas cap is off, even when it’s on, replacing it will more than likely clear this code.
- Monitoring and checking the fuel tank pressure is a must.
- The mechanic will then perform the following tests after completing the above-mentioned checks:
- A smoke test, and they’ll use a scan tool to confirm that the EVAP solenoids and valves are operating properly.
Here’s a pretty good video on diagnosing these leaks from Scotty Kilmer, if you are interested:
While the trouble code may state that there is a “large leak” in the EVAP system of your Kia Soul, the actual leak will most likely still look rather small. The “large” really is referring to how much pressure is being lost.
Most common P0455 fixes
Below are some common Soul P0455 solutions:
- Replacing the gas cap
- Replacing EVAP lines
- Replace charcoal canister
- Replacing the fuel tank
You should start with the gas caps and move on to the fuel tanks. This is because the gas caps are the easiest to replace and the least costly.
Here’s a great video on How to check your gas cap.
It's a good idea to try and figure out why your Kia Soul is throwing the P0455 code. This should help. You can add any additional information by leaving a comment.
Are P0455 Serious Concerns?
While P0455 is not going to cause the Soul’s engine to stop running, it should not be treated lightly. There could be fuel contamination. Check your tank regularly to make sure there is no fuel leaking. You should immediately take it in for repair or replacement.
Leave a Reply