Jeep Liberty: P0562 – System Voltage Low
Common OBD-II trouble codes include P0562. It’s a general code, which means that it means the same thing for any vehicle, including the Jeep Liberty. P0562 This indicates the system voltage has dropped below 10 volts continuously for at least one minute. With the engine running, the system voltage should be 14.1-14.4 volts, and it’s typically caused by a bad alternator. It’s very common to get the battery light with P0562.
P0562 Quick Facts
- P0562 is triggered whenever your Liberty’s voltage drops below 10 volts for over a minute straight.
- With the engine running, ideal voltage should not exceed 14 volts
- There may not be any obvious symptoms.
- Most often, it is caused by an alternator problem.
P0562 Symptoms: Jeep Liberty
If P0562 is the only code your Liberty has, there typically aren’t any noticeable symptoms.The check engine/battery lights are the only symptoms. If your battery voltage falls too low, you may experience symptoms.
If you do experience symptoms, it’s due to battery drain. it is very likely that your Liberty wouldn’t even turn back on if you tried. It will be impossible to start the starter once again because your battery has drained out too much.
These are some of the more common symptoms for P0562:
- Verify Engine Liabilityght– This is the most common symptom, and often the only symptom.
- Warning/Low Battery Light– You’ll more than likely get the battery light with this code.
- Poor Fuel Economy– This can occur when your Liberty’s engine and computer are not getting enough voltage. The computer may be unable to control the ignition timing, fuel mix or air/fuel ratio in real time. The spark may also be weak.
- Failure– Without enough voltage to fire the spark plugs properly, the motor will sputter and cough. If there is enough misfire, the check engine lamp may flash.
- Probleme shifting– Today’s modern automatic transmissions are computer controlled. Without enough voltage getting to them, they won’t be able to respond to the engine RPM and vehicle speed in a timely manner.
- Won’t Start– A very common situation with P0562 is running the vehicle and everything is operating fine, and the check engine light comes on (battery light too, usually). You get the vehicle home and when you go to drive it again it won’t start. You know it's a problem with the alternator.
P0562 Causes + Diagnosis: Jeep Liberty
Below are the top causes of P0562.
The alternator supplies voltage to the battery and to all of your Liberty’s electrical system while it is running. Bad alternator can lead to P0562. If it goes all the way bad that’s make diagnosing the code relatively easy. The vehicle won’t start if it runs too long with a bad alternator. How long it would take to drain the battery all the way is going to depend on the battery’s age and driving conditions.
It’s when the alternator begins to intermittently fail it can be tricky to diagnose. Many auto parts stores can test your alternator free of charge. They will also be able to replace your alternator if you need it. Quite affordable. While you're at it, make sure to replace the serpentine belt.
Diagnoses for the Jeep Liberty Alternator
2. Voltage Regulator
To prevent overloading, the voltage regulator makes sure that only a set voltage is passed to the charging system. This regulator prevents too much voltage from flowing and can throw P0562.
3. Wiring of batteries
There’s a lot of wiring associated with your Liberty’s charging system. The following wiring should be checked for corrosion, fraying, or poor connections.
- Battery terminals– The battery terminals, if left alone long enough, will corrode on any vehicle. When this happens it’s difficult for the charging system to function properly.
- Wiring an alternator for a battery– Take a look at the wiring from the alternator to the battery. Examine the wiring from the alternator to battery for damage or fraying. Particular attention should be paid to any parts which may come into contact with another part of your engine.
- Ground Wire– The ground wire that bolts to the negative battery terminal will bolt to the chassis or engine block. It is important to ensure the connection remains strong and free of corrosion.
- Connect PCM to an Alternator– Check to see if the wiring going from the alternator straight to the PCM looks good. The wiring harness has a lot of distance to travel and can be damaged even if it is well protected. You should look for fraying at the junction of the wiring harness and the PCM. It is not the most common wiring problem on our list. You should only investigate it if you are unable to find any other solutions.
4. Bad Battery
While a bad battery can throw P0562, it’s not nearly as likely as an alternator or wiring issue. Before replacing it, you should test it.
5. Massive Battery Loss
If your vehicle has aftermarket equipment such as a very high watt stereo system, winch, or something else, it could be placing such a heavy load on the charging system that you’re getting P0562. You must wait at least one minute before you can throw the code.
A major power draw can occur if there is a problem. If something goes wrong and draws too much power, this can occur.
Diagnoses of the Jeep Liberty Battery Drain
Conclusion: P0562 Jeep Liberty
Finding P0562 is not easy. It’s usually the alternator that is at fault. You can add anything to this article. You're going to fix your Liberty.
Leave a Reply