Is it worth replacing a side-mirror?
You have many things to think about when it comes to maintaining the car's best condition. One that might not seem important is the car’s side mirror. While it is small, it has a big purpose, ensuring you can see clearly what’s going on behind the vehicle. Is it worth the expense to replace your side mirror?
The average cost to replace a car side mirror is $125-$500. This includes the labor costs and parts. The price of the mirror might drop if purchased on your own.
We will be looking at the factors that affect cost. If you want to make it at home, we also provide instructions on how to accomplish it.
- There are many factors that affect the cost of side mirror replacement
- How often should you replace a side-mirror?
- How to Install a Side Mirror in Your Home
- Protect the Car’s Side Mirror
There are many factors that affect the cost of side mirror replacement
1. OEM Parts vs. Aftermarket
You can expect to spend more if you are looking for genuine parts. But these mirrors will look exactly like the ones on your car, so that you can be sure they are functional.
You can also save money by purchasing aftermarket parts. These aren’t made by the automaker, so you might not get the same level of quality. Side mirrors are not as important as integral parts of your car's mechanics.
RELATED : How to fix a side view mirror using glue
2. Comparison of DIY vs. Professional
Professional installation will cost you more. There are however some factors that come with this choice. It will cost less to visit a mechanic than go to the dealer. Additionally, if you live in a city, you’ll likely pay more than those who live in a rural community.
If you are able to use the tools and knowledge you already have at your disposal, it is possible to save money by doing the installation yourself. If you aren’t sure of what you are doing, you might avoid this path because you could create more damage to the car’s body. The mirror could cost you more than it would if installed professionally.
3. Manual or Automatic?
Side mirrors on older vehicles will cost less than the ones that are available on newer cars. The manual mirrors don’t cost nearly as much as those with sophisticated technology included.
Even side mirrors with automatic functions can significantly increase their price. You will also need to be able to correctly hook it up if you are going to do it yourself.
For example, some advanced complete side mirrors on BMWs and other luxury brands with lane assist, and cameras can cost over $1500 each, and that’s why they are targeted by thieves also.
4. Protection from insurance
In general, the side mirrors aren’t covered by car insurance for replacement. You can make a claim for the replacement of your mirror if it becomes damaged.
However, an insurance company could pay to repair damage caused by covered accidents. However, you’ll still have the deductible to consider. A claim filed for the side mirror may not make sense if there is a $500 deductible.
How often should you replace a side-mirror?
If you’ve been involved in an accident and the mirror has been damaged, it might be clear to you that it’s time for a replacement. Not all cases are so straightforward. What are the alternatives to replacing the side mirrors?
These are just a few of the examples you might want to look at.
- Can’t see out of the mirror anymore
- The mechanical function doesn’t work
- Condensation has built up, reducing visibility
If the mirror is still working but doesn’t look nice, you need to use your own judgment. If the condition doesn’t bother you, you may choose to wait on the replacement until you are prepared to sell the vehicle.
How to Install a Side Mirror in Your Home
1. Collect Supplies
It is important to have everything ready before you begin. It’s helpful to read a service manual showing you the steps before you begin the project.
If you aren’t sure, you may prefer to have a friend join you. Two heads can be better than one in trying to understand these issues.
2. Remove Side Mirror
Although the instructions for each mirror will vary slightly, here are some steps that can be used to remove it. You should first roll down the glass and unplug any electrical wires or fuse that may be connected to it.
After this, remove the screw holding the mirror in place. You might need to first remove the trim panel. Be careful when working with autoglass.
3. Install a New Mirror
You can now install the new mirror once you have removed the old one. The proper method to attach your mirror was revealed by the disconnect of the older one. Simply put, the installation will be done in reverse to that of the removal.
Place your mirror where you would like it to be. Make sure to connect all wires and fuse that make up the entire assembly before you fix it. It’s important that all of these are in place before you put the car back together. Attach the mirror to the frame and remove the trim. You can test that the mirror is functioning properly. You can enjoy the ride by raising the window.
Protect the Car’s Side Mirror
You want to ensure that your side mirror is safe after it has been installed. After all, you don’t want to replace it again. Side mirrors are prone to vandalism but there are other ways that they could be damaged. These are some simple ways to keep it safe.
- Don’t park too close to other vehicles. Mirrors can easily be damaged by anyone walking in front of them or opening their cars to it. That’s why you want to leave lots of space in the parking lot.
- Don’t part on the street. It is possible for a car to hit the mirror in the vicinity of the street. Bicyclists and pedestrians can also cause harm. You should also consider more secure parking.
- Make sure to fold the mirrors in. Take a moment to fold your mirrors in in the garage. This should be done when you are driving through a car wash. You risk making them easy targets.
- Take care when you get out of a parking spot. Slowly and carefully pull your car out of the parking space. Too often, we become distracted by other things and fail to pay attention to what’s going on around us. It's easy to make a mistake that can result in costly consequences.
- Don’t play with mirrors. The controls in the car are often used by children, such as those that attach to the side mirrors. If you want your mirror to last, avoid playing with electronics.
It is possible to prevent costly mistakes and ensure that your investments are secure. You won't need another mirror anytime soon by following these simple steps.