Hyundai Accent P0446: EVAP Vent Control Circuit → Malfunction
The most frequent trouble code with the Hyundai Accent Is the Code P0446. The trouble code refers to a number you receive when your Accent is plugged into an OBDII scanner. It indicates that an error has occurred in the evaporative emission controller system. This code is often found with P0420 or P0441 codes.
P0446: Evaporative Emission Control System → Vent Control Circuit → Malfunction
The P0446 problem is not usually a serious threat to your car's driveability. Certainly anytime the service engine soon light is on, it’s good to deal with it as soon as possible though. This is usually accompanied by P0442. A common problem code is P0420.
Hyundai Accent OBDII Codes Symptoms
The P0446 code is usually not accompanied with any obvious symptoms. You will see the light on your service engine shortly, but this is typically it. A slight drop in fuel economy is not uncommon. You may notice a gas smell after using P0446. Because it is related to the fuel vapor system, P0446 may also cause a slight gas smell.
Hyundai Accent P0446 Meaning
P0446 stands for a universal OBDII Trouble Code. It means that no matter what make or model vehicle you have, this code will still mean the exact same thing. Technically speaking, it stands for:
Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction
The EVAP captures any fuel vapor in the fuel tank, and transmits them to engines intake for ignition. If the EVAP control circuit vent control circuit does not respond to the ECU it will throw the OBDII code P0446 and the service engine light soon will illuminate.
Problem Codes for Accent P0446
Many things can trigger the P0446 code in Hyundai Accent. The most frequent problems that trigger this code are:
- Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0446 code is the vapor canister purge valve. It’s really easy to replace. There are some clips you will need to look for and then remove.
- EVAP System Hose– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. The P0446 code will be generated. It should have a hole or tear.
- A Faulty Canister of Charcoal– The charcoal canister is often the cause of P0446.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the fuel tank sending unit to go bad. This could cause line pressure to drop and throw off the code.
- Capacity for Fuel– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. Often, you’ll get a message informing you that the fuel cap is off even when it is on. You may not get the message but a P0446. This will save you time and money.
- Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. The gasket may dry out especially if the vehicle is in dry conditions. When it dries out, the fuel tank can’t hold pressure anymore.
P0446 Diagnoses-An Accent
The mechanic will have a lot of different tools at his disposal in order to determine the cause of your Hyundai Accent's problem P0446. The most commonly used methods to diagnose this code are:
- In most cases, the mechanic will check for any additional trouble codes. A mechanic will usually check for additional trouble codes to help diagnose the problem. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.
- Once the mechanic has determined the trouble codes associated with P0446, he or she will usually Check out the EVAP System. It includes the purge valve and line as well as the canister.
- To ensure that the cap can withstand pressure, the mechanic will check it. If you are getting a warning that your gas cap is off, even when it’s on, replacing it will more than likely clear this code.
- Monitor and check the pressure in your fuel tank.
- The mechanic will then perform the following tests after completing the above-mentioned checks:
- A smoke test, and they’ll use a scan tool to confirm that the EVAP solenoids and valves are operating properly.
Most common P0446 fixes
Below are the top Accent P0446 solutions:
- Replacement of gas cap
- Replacing EVAP lines
- Replace charcoal canister
- Replacing the fuel tank
It is best to begin with the gas cap, and then work your way up to the fuel tanks. The gas cap is the most difficult and cost-effective item to replace.
Here’s a great video on How to test your gas tank.
You will need to find the cause of your Hyundai Accent throwing the P0446 code. This information was hoped to be helpful. Feel free to add anything below. Enjoy your day.
Leave a Reply