How much does an AC recharge cost? (Average by Model
AC charges range between $150-$300 on the average.
- Average recharge cost is between $50 and $150
- On average, the cost of a leak test ranges from $100 to $150
- It is important to perform a leak check with the appropriate equipment prior to refilling your AC.
- Do not allow anyone to work on your AC system unless they are AC-certified and have the proper equipment.
- Before you recharge your AC, make sure to replace any leaking components. It can lead to a significant increase in cost depending on what is causing the problem.
Average cost of AC recharge
|AC Recharge Cost||Low: $100||Average: $150||High: $300|
Calculated AC Recharge Prices by Car Model
These average recharge costs are based on the car's model. There are many factors that can affect the AC Recharge cost.
|Model of Car||Charges for Recharge|
RELATED: Car AC Not Blowing Cold air
AC Recharge Parts
|Part name||Required?||All Models?|
|AC refrigerant oils||Preferred||Yes|
|AC leak detector fluid||Preferred||Yes|
|New Condenser||Leakage or other problems||Yes|
|A New Fan for the Condenser||Leakage or other problems||Yes|
|All New O-Rings||Leakage or other problems||Yes|
|AC Pressure Switch||Leakage or other problems||Yes|
|AC Compressor Upgrade||Leakage or other problems||Yes|
|AC pressure lines||Leakage or other problems||Yes|
|AC expansion valve||Leakage or other problems||Yes|
|Alternative Type||Price range|
|Condenser replacement cost||$200 – $500|
|Price of replacement condenser fan||$100 – $300|
|Price of Expansion Valve Replacement||100 to 250|
|Repair of AC O-rings||20 to 100|
|Cost of AC pipe replacement||From $50 up to $200|
|AC Pressure Switch Replacement Cost||50 to 100|
RELATED: Does AC Leak Sealer Work?
A Mechanic’s Tips about an AC recharge
- Be sure to leak-test the AC before you fill it.
- Before you fill the AC, vacuum-test it. The AC system could be damaged quickly by condensing or water.
- You should check your AC compressor clutches and AC pressure sensors before doing any further work to your AC system. To make your AC system more functional, remove any shims that are preventing the clutch from engaging.
- The best way to find AC problems is to connect the AC machine – Empty the system, put vacuum for 20 minutes. You can then check for leaks by filling the system with oil, refrigerant, or leak detector fluid. After the car has been running for twenty minutes, check for leaks and inspect for malfunctions. The car can be given to the customer once everything looks good. You can give the car to the customer if it's not in good condition.
- It is better to use pressure testing than vacuum tests when checking for leaks. Small leaks can be sealed with vacuum tests.
RELATED: R12 to R134a Conversion, Information & Necessary Parts
What exactly is an AC recharge?
Every year, AC systems in cars leak. You will need to recharge your AC system every now and again. Before you do an AC recharge, you test for any leaks and test the system’s function.
What is the severity of low AC pressure?
Low AC pressure can mean that your AC compressor isn't working. Some cars are equipped with a variable AC compressor that can be seriously damaged when the AC is not working properly. You don't need to be concerned if your AC compressor has a clutch.
What frequency do you have to charge the AC?
It is not necessary to recharge your AC at a specific time. The AC system of cars should usually be recharged between 6-8 years. However, if it is not timed properly or has been used for any other reason than natural causes, then there might have been a leak.
How can I tell if my AC is low?
One symptom that you might notice is that your car does not have any cooling. However, you might hear your ac compressor hum on idle.
OBD codes that are linked to an AC Recharge
|P0532: Low Input A/C Refrigerator Pressure Sensor Circuit|
|P0531: A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit Performance|
|P0534: Air Conditioner Refrigerant Charge Loss|
|P0533: Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit High Iput|
Other parts related to a AC Recharge
Leave a Reply