Ford HR-V P0455: EVAP System → Leak Detected (Large)
This is one of the most commonly encountered trouble codes for the Ford HR-V Is the Code P0455. The trouble code refers to a number you receive when your HR-V is plugged into an OBD2 scanner. It has to do the emission system. If there are any problems, P0455 indicates they have been fixed. Large leak It is part of the evaporative emission management system (EVAP). It is frequently found alongside, or closely related to, other codes like P0420/P0430, P0441 and, very often, P0440.
P0455: EVAP System → Leak Detected (Large)
Your HR-V's driveability is not affected by P0455. Certainly anytime the service engine soon light is on, it’s good to deal with it as soon as possible though.
Ford HR-V Definition P0455
The universal OBDII trouble code P0455 can be used to diagnose any problem. The code can be used regardless of the make and model of the vehicle. Technically, the code stands for:
System Gross Leak Evaporative Emission System
The EVAP system collects fuel vapor from fuel tanks and then sends it to the intake to ignite the engine in normal combustion. When there is a large leak in the Ford HR-V’s EVAP system, it will throw the P0455 OBDII Code.
Ford HR-V OBDII Codes Symptoms
A P0455 Code will usually not cause any symptoms except the ones listed below. Smells like gas And the service engine soon light. The slightest drop in fuel economy may also be noticeable.
The fuel filler tube or around the fuel tank should smell particularly strong.
Fuel vapors are dealt with directly by the EVAP. If these vapors are leaking from the system, you’ll often smell them faintly while operating the vehicle.
HR-V Trouble Code Causes
Many things can trigger the P0455 code in Ford HRV. These are some of the more common issues that can trigger the P0455 trouble code in your Ford HR-V.
- Evap Hose– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. The P0455 error code will be generated. It should be checked for tears or holes. This is the main problem that can cause the code.
- Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0455 code is the vapor canister purge valve. It’s really easy to replace. There are some clips you will need to look for and then remove.
- The Faulty Charcoal Caister– The charcoal canister is often the cause of P0455.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the gasket that attaches the fuel sending unit to the gas tank to go bad. It can lower the tank pressure, which could throw out the code.
- Fuel Cap– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. Often, you’ll get a message informing you that the fuel cap is off even when it is on. You may not get the message but a P0455. This will save you time and money.
- Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. It is possible for this gasket to dry, particularly if vehicles spend a lot of time in dry environments. When it dries out, the fuel tank can’t hold pressure anymore.
P0455 Diagnoses- Ford HRV
The mechanic will have a lot of different tools at his disposal in order to determine the cause of P0455 on your Ford HRV. The most commonly used methods to diagnose this code are:
- A mechanic will often check to make sure there are no other codes. It is easier to diagnose problems if there are more codes. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.
- Once the mechanic has determined the trouble codes associated with P0455, he or she will usually Take a look at the EVAP system. These include the line and purge valve.
- To ensure that the cap can withstand pressure, the mechanic will check it. If you are getting a warning that your gas cap is off, even when it’s on, replacing it will more than likely clear this code.
- Monitoring and checking the fuel tank pressure is a must.
- The mechanic will then perform the following tests after completing the above-mentioned checks:
- A smoke test, and they’ll use a scan tool to confirm that the EVAP solenoids and valves are operating properly.
Here’s a pretty good video on diagnosing these leaks from Scotty Kilmer, if you are interested:
While the trouble code may state that there is a “large leak” in the EVAP system of your Ford HR-V, the actual leak will most likely still look rather small. The “large” really is referring to how much pressure is being lost.
Commonly Used P0455 Fixes
These are some of the most popular HR-V P0455 fix:
- Replacement of gas cap
- Replacing EVAP lines
- Replace charcoal canister
- Change the fuel tank
You should start with the gas caps and move on to the fuel tanks. This is because the gas caps are the easiest to replace and the least costly.
Here’s a great video on How to test your gas tank.
You will need to find the root cause of your Ford HRV throwing the P0455 error code. We trust this helped. You can add any additional information by leaving a comment.
Are P0455 Serious Concerns?
While P0455 is not going to cause the HR-V’s engine to stop running, it should not be treated lightly. Fuel leaks could be a problem. Check your tank regularly to make sure there is no fuel leaking. You should immediately take it in for repair or replacement.