Ford Fusion P0457: EVAP System – Leak Detected
P0457 This is an example of a common problem code for the Ford Fusion. The code refers to the number you get when you plug in your Fusion. OBDII scanner. The P0457 signifies that the Evaporative Emissions Control (EVAPS) system is leaking. This is similar to P0455, which indicates a large leak, and P0456 that indicate a small leak.
Your Fusion's driveability is generally not affected by P0457. Certainly anytime the service engine soon light is on though, it’s good to deal with it as soon as possible.
Ford Fusion P0457 Definition
The universal OBDII code P0457 can be used to diagnose trouble codes. The code can be used regardless of the make and model of the vehicle. Technically, the code stands for:
System Leak – Evaporative Emission System
The EVAP captures any fuel vapor in the fuel tank, and transmits it to engines intake for ignition. When there is a leak in the Ford Fusion’s EVAP system, it will throw the P0457 OBDII Code.
Ford Fusion P0457 OBDII Symptoms
The P0457 code is usually not accompanied with any other symptoms than those listed. The smell of gas And the service engine soon light.
The fuel tank and fuel filler tubes should smell particularly strong.
The EVAP system is responsible for fuel vapors. If these vapors are leaking from the system, you’ll often smell them faintly while operating the vehicle. But, it won’t affect the way the engine itself runs. The EVAP system is for fuel vapor and does not affect the operation of your Fusion engine.
Fusion P0457 Troublecode Causes
P0457 Trouble code can occur for many reasons in your Ford Fusion. If your Fusion has warned you at all in the last few months that the fuel cap was off when it wasn’t, then replacing it would be a great first step.
These are some of the most frequent problems that can throw off the code. They're listed in alphabetical order, from the most likely to the least.
- Hose for Evap System– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. This can lead to the code P0457. You should look for a hole or a tear in the code. This is the leading cause of code.
- Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0457 code is the vapor canister purge valve. It’s really easy to replace. You will need to locate and take out a few clips.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the gasket that attaches the fuel sending unit to the gas tank to go bad. It can lower the tank pressure, which could throw out the code.
- Fuel Cap– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. Often, you’ll get a message informing you that the fuel cap is off even when it is on. It may be worth your time to get that message and a P0457 to ensure you don't waste any money.
- Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. It is possible for this gasket to dry, particularly if vehicles spend a lot of time in dry environments. When it dries out, the fuel tank can’t hold pressure anymore.
Ford Fusion Diagnostics - P0457
To diagnose the problem with your Ford Fusion's P0457, a mechanic can use a variety of tools. The most commonly used methods to diagnose this code are:
- The mechanic will usually check for any additional trouble codes. A mechanic will usually check for additional trouble codes to help diagnose the problem. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.
- The mechanic will normally determine what trouble codes are associated with P0457. Take a look at the EVAP system. It includes the purge valve and line as well as the canister.
- To ensure that the cap can withstand pressure, the mechanic will check it. If you are getting a warning that your gas cap is off, even when it’s on, replacing it will more than likely clear this code.
- Monitor and check the pressure in your fuel tank.
- Following the inspections and repairs, the mechanic will conduct two more tests.
- A smoke test, and they’ll use a scan tool to confirm that the EVAP solenoids and valves are operating properly.
Here’s a pretty good video on diagnosing these leaks from Scotty Kilmer, if you are interested:
Many Common P0457 Fixes
These are some of the most popular Fusion P0457 fix:
- Replacing the gas cap
- Replacing EVAP lines
- Replace charcoal canister
- Replacing the fuel tank
It is best to begin with the gas cap, and then work your way up to the fuel tanks. The gas cap is the most difficult and cost-effective item to replace.
Here’s a great video on How to check your gas cap.
We wish you all the best in finding out why your Ford Fusion is throwing the P0457 error code. This should help. You can add any additional information by leaving a comment.
Do you consider P0457 to be a serious concern?
While P0457 is not going to cause the Fusion’s engine to stop running, it should not be treated lightly. Fuel leaks could be a problem. You should pay extra attention to the level of your fuel tank and ensure that you're not leaking fuel. It is best to have it checked and/or dealt with immediately.
Feel free to add anything to the article by leaving a comment. Thanks!