Ford Fusion P0456: EVAP System – Small Leak
This is one of the most commonly encountered trouble codes for the Ford Fusion Is the Code P0456. The trouble code refers to a number you receive when your Fusion is plugged into a OBDII scanner. A P0456 code indicates that there may be a slight leakage in the evaporative exhaust control system. This code is often found with or related to P0420,P0441 and, very rarely, P0440.
Your Fusion's drive-ability is generally not affected by P0456. Certainly anytime the service engine soon light is on, it’s good to deal with it as soon as possible.
While the trouble code may state that there is a “small leak” in the EVAP system of your Ford Fusion, it is actually referring to the amount of pressure lost, and not the physical size of the leak. They can also be very tiny.
Ford Fusion Definition P0456
The universal OBDII code P0456 can be used to diagnose trouble codes. It means that no matter what make or model vehicle you have, this code will still mean Fusion. Technically, the code stands for:
System Leakage of Small Size – Evaporative Emission System
The EVAP system collects fuel vapor from fuel tanks and then sends it to the intake to ignite the engine in normal combustion. When there is a small leak in the Ford Fusion’s EVAP system, it will throw the P0456 OBDII Code. If there is a large leak, it’ll throw P0455.
Ford Fusion P0456 OBDII Symptoms
A P0456 Code will not usually be associated with other noticeable symptoms. Smells like gas The service engine soon light.
Particular attention should be paid to the smell of fuel near the fuel tank or fuel filler tube.
The EVAP process deals with fuel vapors directly. If these vapors are leaking from the system, you’ll often smell them faintly while operating the vehicle. But, it won’t affect the way the engine itself runs. The EVAP technology deals only with the fuel vapor. It does not impact the performance of your Fusion's engine.
Fusion P0456 Troublecode Causes
P0456 can be triggered by many factors in your Ford Fusion. If your Fusion has warned you at all in the last few months that the fuel cap was off when it wasn’t, then replacing it would be a great first step.
These are some of the most frequent problems that can throw off the code. They're listed in alphabetical order, from the most likely to the least.
- Evap System Hose– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. This can lead to the code P0456. It should be checked for tears or holes. This is usually the cause of the code.
- Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0456 code is the vapor canister purge valve. It’s really easy to replace. You will need to locate and take out a few clips.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the gasket that attaches the fuel sending unit to the gas tank to go bad. It can lower the tank pressure, which could throw out the code.
- Fuel Cap– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. Often, you’ll get a message informing you that the fuel cap is off even when it is on. You may not get the message but a P0456. This will save you time and money.
- Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. It is possible for this gasket to dry, particularly if vehicles spend a lot of time in dry environments. When it dries out, the fuel tank can’t hold pressure anymore.
Ford Fusion Diagnostics - P0456
To diagnose the problem with your Ford Fusion's P0456, a mechanic can use a variety of tools. These are some of the common diagnostics that can be done for the code.
- The mechanic will usually check for any additional trouble codes. It is easier to diagnose problems if there are more codes. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.
- The mechanic will normally determine what trouble codes are associated with P0456. Check out the EVAP System. It includes the purge valve and line as well as the canister.
- A mechanic will examine the gas cap and verify that it is able to withstand high pressure. If you are getting a warning that your gas cap is off, even when it’s on, replacing it will more than likely clear this code.
- Monitor and check the pressure in your fuel tank.
- Following the inspections and repairs, the mechanic will conduct two more tests.
- A smoke test, and they’ll use a scan tool to confirm that the EVAP solenoids and valves are operating properly.
Here’s a pretty good video on diagnosing these leaks from Scotty Kilmer, if you are interested:
The Most Popular P0456 Fixes
These are some of the most popular Fusion P0456 fix:
- Replacing the gas cap
- Replacement for EVAP Line
- Replace charcoal canister
- Change the fuel tank
It is best to begin with the gas cap, and then work your way up to the fuel tanks. The gas cap is the most difficult and cost-effective item to replace.
Here’s a great video on How to test your gas tank.
We wish you all the best in finding out why your Ford Fusion is throwing the P0456 error code. We trust this helped. You can add any additional information by leaving a comment.
Do you consider P0456 to be a serious concern?
While P0456 is not going to cause the Fusion’s engine to stop running, it should not be treated lightly. Fuel leaks could be a problem. Check your tank regularly to make sure there is no fuel leaking. It is best to have it checked and/or dealt with immediately.
Feel free to add anything to the article by leaving a comment. Thanks!
Leave a Reply