Ford Focus P0457: EVAP System – Leak Detected
P0457 It is quite common to encounter the trouble code Ford Focus. The code refers to the number you get when you plug in your Focus to a OBDII scanner. The P0457 signifies that the Evaporative Emissions Control (EVAPS) system is leaking. This is similar to P0455, which indicates a large leak, and P0456 that indicate a small leak.
The P0457 issue is not usually a threat to your Focus' driveability. Certainly anytime the service engine soon light is on though, it’s good to deal with it as soon as possible.
Ford Focus Definition P0457
The universal OBDII code P0457 refers to trouble codes. It means that no matter what make or model vehicle you have, this code will still mean the same thing. The code is technically:
System Leak – Evaporative Emission System
The EVAP captures any fuel vapor in the fuel tank, and transmits it to engines intake for ignition. When there is a leak in the Ford Focus’s EVAP system, it will throw the P0457 OBDII Code.
Ford Focus P0457 OBDII Symptoms
A P0457 Code will not usually be associated with other noticeable symptoms. The smell of gas The service engine soon light.
The fuel tank and fuel filler tubes should smell particularly strong.
The EVAP process deals with fuel vapors directly. If these vapors are leaking from the system, you’ll often smell them faintly while operating the vehicle. But, it won’t affect the way the engine itself runs. The EVAP system is for fuel vapor and does not affect the operation of your Focus' engine.
Focus on P0457 Trouble Code Reasons
P0457 Trouble code can occur for many reasons in Ford Focus. If your Focus has warned you at all in the last few months that the fuel cap was off when it wasn’t, then replacing it would be a great first step.
These are some of the most frequent problems that can throw off the code. They're listed in alphabetical order, from the most likely to the least.
- Hose for Evap System– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. The P0457 error code will be generated. It should have a hole or tear. This is the leading cause of code.
- Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0457 code is the vapor canister purge valve. It’s really easy to replace. You will need to locate and take out a few clips.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the gasket that attaches the fuel sending unit to the gas tank to go bad. It can lower the tank pressure, which could throw out the code.
- Fuel Cap– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. Often, you’ll get a message informing you that the fuel cap is off even when it is on. You may not get the message but a P0457. This will save you time and money.
- Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. The gasket may dry out especially if the vehicle is in dry conditions. When it dries out, the fuel tank can’t hold pressure anymore.
Ford Focus Diagnosis - Page 0457
The mechanic will have a lot of different tools at his disposal in order to determine the cause of your Ford Focus P0457. The most commonly used methods to diagnose this code are:
- It is common for the mechanic to check for any additional trouble codes. It is easier to diagnose problems if there are more codes. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.
- Once the mechanic has determined the trouble codes associated with P0457, he or she will usually Check out the EVAP System. It includes the purge valve and line as well as the canister.
- To ensure that the cap can withstand pressure, the mechanic will check it. If you are getting a warning that your gas cap is off, even when it’s on, replacing it will more than likely clear this code.
- Monitor and check the pressure in your fuel tank.
- Following the inspections and repairs, the mechanic will conduct two more tests.
- A smoke test, and they’ll use a scan tool to confirm that the EVAP solenoids and valves are operating properly.
Here’s a pretty good video on diagnosing these leaks from Scotty Kilmer, if you are interested:
The Most Popular P0457 Fixes
Below are the top Focus P0457 solutions:
- Replacing the gas cap
- Replacement for EVAP Line
- Replace charcoal canister
- Change the fuel tank
You should start with the gas caps and move on to the fuel tanks. This is because the gas caps are the easiest to replace and the least costly.
Here’s a great video on How to check your gas cap.
You will need to find the cause of your Ford Focus throwing the code P0457. This information is hoped to be helpful. Please feel free to add anything below.
Are P0457 Serious Concerns?
While P0457 is not going to cause the Focus’s engine to stop running, it should not be treated lightly. There could be fuel contamination. You should pay extra attention to the level of your fuel tank and ensure that you're not leaking fuel. You should immediately take it in for repair or replacement.
Please leave comments below if you have any suggestions. Thanks!
Leave a Reply