Ford Edge P0457: EVAP System – Leak Detected
P0457 It is quite common to encounter the trouble code Ford Edge. Refers to a number you receive when your Edge is plugged into an. OBDII scanner. The P0457 signifies that the Evaporative Emissions Control (EVAPS) system is leaking. This is similar to P0455, which indicates a large leak, and P0456 that indicate a small leak.
P0457 does not normally pose a danger to the Edge's drive-ability. Certainly anytime the service engine soon light is on though, it’s good to deal with it as soon as possible.
Ford Edge Definition P0457
The universal OBDII code P0457 refers to trouble codes. The code can be used regardless of the make and model of the vehicle. Technically, the code stands for:
System Leak – Evaporative Emission System
The EVAP system collects fuel vapor from fuel tanks and then sends it to the intake to ignite the engine in normal combustion. When there is a leak in the Ford Edge’s EVAP system, it will throw the P0457 OBDII Code.
Ford Edge P0457 OBDII Symptoms
The P0457 code is usually not accompanied with any other symptoms than those listed. The smell of gas The service engine soon light.
Particular attention should be paid to the fuel tank or fuel filler tube smell.
The EVAP process deals with fuel vapors directly. If these vapors are leaking from the system, you’ll often smell them faintly while operating the vehicle. But, it won’t affect the way the engine itself runs. The EVAP system is for fuel vapor and does not affect the performance of your Edge's engine.
Edge P0457 Trouble Code Causes
P0457 Trouble code can occur for many reasons in the Ford Edge. If your Edge has warned you at all in the last few months that the fuel cap was off when it wasn’t, then replacing it would be a great first step.
These are some of the most frequent problems that can throw off the code. They're listed in alphabetical order, from the most likely to the least.
- Evap Hose– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. This can lead to the code P0457. You should look for a hole or a tear in the code. This is the main problem that can cause the code.
- Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0457 code is the vapor canister purge valve. It’s really easy to replace. There are some clips you will need to look for and then remove.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the gasket that attaches the fuel sending unit to the gas tank to go bad. This could cause a drop in tank pressure which can throw off the code.
- Fuel Cap– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. Often, you’ll get a message informing you that the fuel cap is off even when it is on. It may be worth your time to get that message and a P0457 to ensure you don't waste any money.
- Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. It is possible for this gasket to dry, particularly if vehicles spend a lot of time in dry environments. When it dries out, the fuel tank can’t hold pressure anymore.
Ford Edge Diagnostics - P0457
The mechanic will have a lot of different tools at his disposal in order to determine the cause of your Ford Edge P0457. These are some of the common diagnostics that can be done for the P0457 code.
- The mechanic will check for other codes. A mechanic will usually check for additional trouble codes to help diagnose the problem. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.
- The mechanic will normally determine what trouble codes are associated with P0457. Take a look at the EVAP system. These include the line and purge valve.
- A mechanic will examine the gas cap and verify that it is able to withstand high pressure. If you are getting a warning that your gas cap is off, even when it’s on, replacing it will more than likely clear this code.
- Monitor and check the pressure in your fuel tank.
- The mechanic will then perform the following tests after completing the above-mentioned checks:
- A smoke test, and they’ll use a scan tool to confirm that the EVAP solenoids and valves are operating properly.
Here’s a pretty good video on diagnosing these leaks from Scotty Kilmer, if you are interested:
Most common P0457 fixes
These are some of the more common Edge P0457 solutions:
- Replacing the gas cap
- Replacement for EVAP Line
- Replace charcoal canister
- Replacing the fuel tank
You should start with the gas caps and move on to the fuel tanks. This is because the gas caps are the easiest to replace and the least costly.
Here’s a great video on How to check your gas cap.
We wish you all the best in finding out why your Ford Edge is throwing the P0457 error code. This should help. Please feel free to add anything below.
Do you consider P0457 to be a serious concern?
While P0457 is not going to cause the Edge’s engine to stop running, it should not be treated lightly. Fuel leaks could be a problem. You should pay extra attention to the level of your fuel tank and ensure that you're not leaking fuel. You should immediately take it in for repair or replacement.
Please leave comments below if you have any suggestions. Thanks!
Leave a Reply