Ford Econoline Code Diagnosis
The most frequent trouble code with the Ford Econoline The Code P0455. The trouble code refers to a number you receive when your Econoline is plugged into an OBDII scanner. The trouble code P0455 indicates that there are a Large leak In the evaporative emissions control system. It is frequently found in conjunction with other codes such as P0420 or P0441.
Your Econoline’s driveability is generally not affected by P0455. Certainly anytime the service engine soon light is on, it’s good to deal with it as soon as possible though. It's often associated with P0442. More information is available at Ford Econoline P0442 OBDII Cod.
Ford Econoline Definition P0455
The universal OBDII code P0455 can be used to diagnose trouble codes. It means that no matter what make or model vehicle you have, this code will still mean the exact same thing. Technically, the code stands for:
System Gross Leak – Evaporative Emission System
The EVAP captures any fuel vapor in the fuel tank. They are then sent to the engines intake for ignition. When there is a large leak in the Ford Econoline’s EVAP system, it will throw the P0455 OBDII Code.
Ford Econoline OBDII Code P0455 Symptoms
The P0455 code is usually not accompanied with any other symptoms than those listed. Smells like gas The service engine soon light. The slightest drop in fuel economy may also be noticeable.
The fuel tank and fuel filler tubes should smell particularly strong.
The EVAP system is responsible for fuel vapors. If these vapors are leaking from the system, you’ll often smell them faintly while operating the vehicle.
Econoline P0455 Trouble code Causes
Many things can trigger the P0455 code in Ford Econoline. These are some of the more common issues that can trigger the P0455 trouble code in your Ford Econoline.
- Hose for Evap System– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. The P0455 error code will be generated. It should be checked for tears or holes. This is the leading cause of code.
- Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0455 code is the vapor canister purge valve. It’s really easy to replace. You will need to locate and take out a few clips.
- The Faulty Charcoal Caister– The charcoal canister is often the cause of P0455.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the gasket that attaches the fuel sending unit to the gas tank to go bad. It can lower the tank pressure, which could throw out the code.
- Fuel Cap– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. Often, you’ll get a message informing you that the fuel cap is off even when it is on. You may not get the message but a P0455. This will save you time and money.
- Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. The gasket may dry out especially if the vehicle is in dry conditions. When it dries out, the fuel tank can’t hold pressure anymore.
Ford Econoline Diagnostics - Page 0455
The mechanic will have a lot of different tools at his disposal in order to determine the cause of your Ford Econoline P0455. These are some of the common diagnostics that can be done for the code
- It is common for the mechanic to check for additional codes. A mechanic will usually check for additional trouble codes to help diagnose the problem. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.
- Once the mechanic has determined the trouble codes associated with P0455, he or she will usually Take a look at the EVAP system. It includes the purge valve and line as well as the canister.
- A mechanic will examine the gas cap and verify that it is able to withstand high pressure. If you are getting a warning that your gas cap is off, even when it’s on, replacing it will more than likely clear this code.
- Monitoring and checking the fuel tank pressure is a must.
- The mechanic will then perform the following tests after completing the above-mentioned checks:
- A smoke test, and they’ll use a scan tool to confirm that the EVAP solenoids and valves are operating properly.
Here’s a pretty good video on diagnosing these leaks from Scotty Kilmer, if you are interested:
While the trouble code may state that there is a “large leak” in the EVAP system of your Ford Econoline, the actual leak will most likely still look rather small. The “large” really is referring to how much pressure is being lost.
The Most Popular P0455 Fixes
Below are the top Econoline P0455 fix options:
- Replacing the gas cap
- Replacing a EVAP line
- Replace charcoal canister
- Replacing the fuel tank
You should start with the gas caps and move on to the fuel tanks. This is because the gas caps are the easiest to replace and the least costly.
Here’s a great video on How to test your gas tank.
We wish you all the best in finding out why your Ford Econoline is throwing the code P0455. We trust this helped. You can add any additional information by leaving a comment.
Do you consider P0455 to be a serious concern?
While P0455 is not going to cause the Econoline’s engine to stop running, it should not be treated lightly. There could be fuel contamination. Check your tank regularly to make sure there is no fuel leaking. You should immediately take it in for repair or replacement.
Leave a Reply