Dodge Stratus: P0562 – System Voltage Low
Common OBD-II trouble codes include P0562. It’s a general code, which means that it means the same thing for any vehicle, including the Dodge Stratus. P0562 It means that the system voltage drops below 10 V for more than a minute. With the engine running, the system voltage should be 14.1-14.4 volts, and it’s typically caused by a bad alternator. It’s very common to get the battery light with P0562.
P0562 Quick Facts
- P0562 is triggered whenever your Stratus’s voltage drops below 10 volts for over a minute straight.
- With the engine running, ideal voltage should not exceed 14 volts
- There may not be any obvious symptoms.
- The most common cause is a defective alternator.
P0562 Symptoms: Dodge Stratus
If P0562 is the only code your Stratus has, there typically aren’t any noticeable symptoms.The check engine/battery lights are the only symptoms. If the voltage of your battery drops to low, symptoms can and will occur.
If you do experience symptoms, it’s due to battery drain. it is very likely that your Stratus wouldn’t even turn back on if you tried. It will be impossible to start the starter once again because your battery has drained far too much.
Below are the top P0562 symptoms:
- Verify Engine LiabilityGht– This is the most common symptom, and often the only symptom.
- Warning/Low Battery– You’ll more than likely get the battery light with this code.
- Poor Fuel Economy– This can occur when your Stratus’s engine and computer are not getting enough voltage. This could mean that the computer is unable to control ignition timing and/or fuel mixture. Oder, it may be too weak.
- It's a mistake– Without enough voltage to fire the spark plugs properly, the motor will sputter and cough. If there is enough misfire, the check engine lamp may flash.
- Probleme shifting– Today’s modern automatic transmissions are computer controlled. Without enough voltage getting to them, they won’t be able to respond to the engine RPM and vehicle speed in a timely manner.
- Won’t Start– A very common situation with P0562 is running the vehicle and everything is operating fine, and the check engine light comes on (battery light too, usually). You get the vehicle home and when you go to drive it again it won’t start. You know it's a problem with the alternator.
P0562 Causes + Diagnosis: Dodge Stratus
Below are some common reasons for P0562.
The alternator supplies voltage to the battery and to all of your Stratus’s electrical system while it is running. It can also cause P0562 if it is damaged. If it goes all the way bad that’s make diagnosing the code relatively easy. The vehicle won’t start if it runs too long with a bad alternator. How long it would take to drain the battery all the way is going to depend on the battery’s age and driving conditions.
It’s when the alternator begins to intermittently fail it can be tricky to diagnose. Your alternator can be tested at most auto parts shops for no cost. They will also be able to replace your alternator if you need it. Quite affordable. You should also change your serpentine belt.
Dodge Stratus Alternator Diagnosis
2. Voltage Regulator
In order to prevent the charger from overloading, it ensures that only a specific voltage flows to it. The regulator can prevent too high voltage passing through and even throw out P0562.
3. Wiring of batteries
There’s a lot of wiring associated with your Stratus’s charging system. The following wiring should be checked for corrosion, fraying, or poor connections.
- Batterie Terminals– The battery terminals, if left alone long enough, will corrode on any vehicle. When this happens it’s difficult for the charging system to function properly.
- Wiring the Alternator and Battery– Take a look at the wiring from the alternator to the battery. Examine the wiring from the alternator to battery for damage or fraying. Particular attention should be paid to any parts which may come into contact with another part of your engine.
- Ground Wire– The ground wire that bolts to the negative battery terminal will bolt to the chassis or engine block. You must ensure that your connection is secure and free from corrosion.
- Connect PCM to an Alternator– Check to see if the wiring going from the alternator straight to the PCM looks good. This wiring has a great distance to travel so it can get damaged. The wiring harness's connection to the motherboard should be checked for fraying. It is not the most common wiring problem on our list. You should only investigate it if you are unable to find any other solutions.
4. Bad Battery
While a bad battery can throw P0562, it’s not nearly as likely as an alternator or wiring issue. It is important to have the battery tested before you replace it.
5. Massive Battery Loss
If your vehicle has aftermarket equipment such as a very high watt stereo system, winch, or something else, it could be placing such a heavy load on the charging system that you’re getting P0562. It should take at most a minute for the code to be thrown.
A major power draw can occur if there is a problem. It can happen when something is shorted and pulls too much current.
Diagnostics for Dodge Stratus Battery Drain
Conclusion: P0562 Dodge Stratus
Finding P0562 is not easy. It’s usually the alternator that is at fault. Please leave comments below if you have any additional information. We wish you the best with your Stratus repair!
Leave a Reply