Dodge Ram P0457: EVAP System – Leak Detected
P0457 It is quite common to encounter the trouble code Dodge Ram. Refers to a code that you receive when your Ram is plugged into an a OBDII scanner. The P0457 signifies that the Evaporative Emissions Control (EVAPS) system is leaking. This is similar to P0455, which indicates a large leak, and P0456 that indicate a small leak.
Your Ram's drive-ability is generally not affected by P0457. Certainly anytime the service engine soon light is on though, it’s good to deal with it as soon as possible.
Dodge Ram P0457 Definition
The universal OBDII code P0457 can be used to diagnose trouble codes. It means that no matter what make or model vehicle you have, this code will always mean the same (Ram or not). Technically, the code stands for:
System Leak – Evaporative Emission System
The EVAP system collects fuel vapor from your fuel tank, and then sends it to the intake to ignite the engine in normal combustion. When there is a leak in the Dodge Ram’s EVAP system, it will throw the P0457 OBDII Code.
Dodge Ram P0457 OBDII Symptoms
The P0457 code is usually not accompanied with any other symptoms than those listed. Smells like gas And the service engine soon light.
The fuel tank and fuel filler tubes should smell particularly strong.
The EVAP system is responsible for fuel vapors. If these vapors are leaking from the system, you’ll often smell them faintly while operating the vehicle. But, it won’t affect the way the engine itself runs. The EVAP technology deals only with the fuel vapor. It does not impact the operation of the Ram engine.
Trouble codes Ram P0457
P0457 is a trouble code that Dodge Rams can trigger. If your Ram has warned you at all in the last few months that the fuel cap was off when it wasn’t, then replacing it would be a great first step.
Below are some common issues that could throw code. These problems were listed alphabetically, most likely in the order they occur.
- Hose for Evap System– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. The P0457 error code will be generated. You should look for a hole or a tear in the code. This is the leading cause of code.
- Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0457 code is the vapor canister purge valve. It’s really easy to replace. You will need to locate and take out a few clips.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the gasket that attaches the fuel sending unit to the gas tank to go bad. It can lower the tank pressure, which could throw out the code.
- Fuel Cap– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. Often, you’ll get a message informing you that the fuel cap is off even when it is on. You may not get the message but a P0457. This will save you time and money.
- Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. It is possible for this gasket to dry, particularly if vehicles spend a lot of time in dry environments. When it dries out, the fuel tank can’t hold pressure anymore.
Dodge Ram Diagnostics P0457
The mechanic will have a lot of different tools at his disposal in order to determine the cause of your Dodge Ram P0457. The most commonly used methods to diagnose this code are:
- The mechanic will usually check for any additional trouble codes. A mechanic will usually check for additional trouble codes to help diagnose the problem. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.
- The mechanic will normally determine what trouble codes are associated with P0457. Check out the EVAP System. It includes the purge valve and line as well as the canister.
- To ensure that the cap can withstand pressure, the mechanic will check it. If you are getting a warning that your gas cap is off, even when it’s on, replacing it will more than likely clear this code.
- Monitoring and checking the fuel tank pressure is a must.
- Following the inspections and repairs, the mechanic will conduct two more tests.
- A smoke test, and they’ll use a scan tool to confirm that the EVAP solenoids and valves are operating properly.
Here’s a pretty good video on diagnosing these leaks from Scotty Kilmer, if you are interested:
Most common P0457 fixes
These are some of the most popular Ram P0457 solutions:
- Replacement of gas cap
- Replacement for EVAP Line
- Replace charcoal canister
- Replacing the fuel tank
It is best to begin with the gas cap, and then work your way up to the fuel tanks. The gas cap is the most difficult and cost-effective item to replace.
Here’s a great video on How to test your gas tank.
You will need to find the cause of your Dodge Ram throwing the code P0457. We trust this helped. You can add any additional information by leaving a comment.
Do you consider P0457 to be a serious concern?
While P0457 is not going to cause the Ram’s engine to stop running, it should not be treated lightly. There could be fuel contamination. Check your tank regularly to make sure there is no fuel leaking. You should immediately take it in for repair or replacement.
Please leave comments below if you have any suggestions. Thanks!
Leave a Reply