Chevy Traverse P0449 Code Diagnosis: EVAP System
This is a very common problem with the Chevy Traverse The Code P0449. This is your trouble code. It is the reference number given when you plug in your Traverse to an a OBDII scanner. The evaporative emission control system is P0449. This code is often found with or related to P0420,P0446 and, very rarely, P0440.
P0449: Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
The P0449 problem is not usually a threat to your Traverse's driveability. Certainly anytime the service engine soon light is on, it’s good to deal with it as soon as possible though. A scanner that is very accurate will allow you to identify if the valve works correctly. They're common to find in most shops. There’s a link towards the bottom the page on exactly how to perform that procedure. This article will show you how to diagnose and fix the problem.
Chevy Traverse P0449 Definition
The universal OBDII code P0449 can be used to diagnose trouble codes. The code can be used to indicate Traverse, regardless of the make and model of the vehicle.
The P0449 code indicates that the solenoid or valve that controls the evaporation systems isn't working properly. Depending on which vehicle model you have, the EVAP system converts fuel vapor from your gas tank to the intake manifold or charcoal canister. If the system fails to function properly, fuel vapor will not be removed.
ECM (Engine Control Modul) detected a fault within the circuit controlling the vent to release fuel vapor. The service engine will soon follow up on this.
Chevy Traverse P0449 OBDII Code Symptoms
A P0449 Code will not usually be associated with other noticeable symptoms. The smell of gas The service engine soon light. The slightest drop in fuel economy may also be noticeable.
The fuel tank and fuel filler tubes should smell particularly strong.
The EVAP process deals with fuel vapors directly. If these vapors are leaking from the system, you’ll often smell them faintly while operating the vehicle.
Traverse P0449 Trouble Code
P0449 can happen for many reasons in Chevy Traverse. Below are the top problems that could trigger this code, along with an excellent video.
- Fuel Cap– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. Often, you’ll get a message informing you that the fuel cap is off even when it is on. You may not get the message but a P0449. This will save you time and money.
- EVAP Hose– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. This can lead to the P0449 error code. It should have a hole or tear. This is the leading cause of code.
- Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0449 code is the vapor canister purge valve. It’s really easy to replace. You will need to locate and take out a few clips. Here’s How to check a purge device (YouTube).
- Trouble with Fuse/Wiring– If the wiring going to the valve has been compromise, it’ll lead to the P0449.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the gasket that attaches the fuel sending unit to the gas tank to go bad. This could cause a drop in tank pressure which can throw off the code.
- Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. It is possible for this gasket to dry, particularly if vehicles spend a lot of time in dry environments. When it dries out, the fuel tank can’t hold pressure anymore, it may erroneously throw P0449.
P0449 Chevy Traverse Diagnostics
The mechanic can use a range of tools to determine the cause of your Chevy Traverse P0449. These are some of the common diagnostics that can be done for the code
- A mechanic will examine the gas cap and verify that it is able to withstand high pressure. If you are getting a warning that your gas cap is off, even when it’s on, replacing it will more than likely clear this code.
- The mechanic will usually check for any additional trouble codes. A mechanic will usually check for additional trouble codes to help diagnose the problem. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.
- The mechanic will normally determine what problem codes are associated with P0449. Take a look at the EVAP system. It includes the purge valve and line as well as the canister.
- Monitoring and checking the fuel tank pressure is a must.
- After for the checks and fixes listed above, the mechanic will perform two tests: A smoke test, and they’ll use a scan tool to confirm that the EVAP solenoids and valves are operating properly.
Are you still having problems? Here’s a Video with super technical content This is a great article on how to diagnose P0449.
The Most Popular P0449 Fixes
Below are some common Traverse-related P0449 solutions:
- Replacement of gas cap
- Replacing EVAP lines
- Vent valve replacement
- Wiring repair
You should start with the gas caps and move on to the fuel tanks. This is because the gas caps are the most cost-effective and easiest to replace.
Here’s a great video on How to test your gas tank.
We wish you all the best in finding out why your Chevy Traverse is throwing the P0449 code. This should help. Please feel free to add anything below.
Do you consider P0449 to be a serious concern?
While P0449 is not going to cause the Traverse’s engine to stop running, it should not be treated lightly. There could be fuel contamination. Check your tank regularly to make sure there is no fuel leaking. It is best to have it checked and/or dealt with immediately.
Leave a Reply