Chevy Camaro: P0562 – System Voltage Low
The OBD-II common trouble code P0562 can be found in the OBD-II manual. It’s a general code, which means that it means the same thing for any vehicle, including the Chevy Camaro. P0562 This indicates the system voltage has dropped below 10 volts continuously for at least one minute. With the engine running, the system voltage should be 14.1-14.4 volts, and it’s typically caused by a bad alternator. It’s very common to get the battery light with P0562.
P0562 Quick Facts
- P0562 is triggered whenever your Camaro’s voltage drops below 10 volts for over a minute straight.
- The ideal voltage is around 14 volts when the engine is running.
- There is usually no obvious sign.
- The most common cause is a defective alternator.
P0562 Symptoms: Chevy Camaro
If P0562 is the only code your Camaro has, there typically aren’t any noticeable symptoms.Other than the check engine/battery lamp. If your battery voltage falls too low, you may experience symptoms.
If you do experience symptoms, it’s due to battery drain. it is very likely that your Camaro wouldn’t even turn back on if you tried. It will be impossible to start the starter once again because your battery has drained.
Below are the top P0562 symptoms:
- Make sure to check the engine licenseght– This is the most common symptom, and often the only symptom.
- Warning/Low Battery Light– You’ll more than likely get the battery light with this code.
- Poor Fuel Economy– This can occur when your Camaro’s engine and computer are not getting enough voltage. This could mean that the computer is unable to control ignition timing and fuel mix. Oder, it may be too weak.
- Failure– Without enough voltage to fire the spark plugs properly, the motor will sputter and cough. If the misfire gets severe enough, the check engine light might even start to flash.
- Shifting Problems– Today’s modern automatic transmissions are computer controlled. Without enough voltage getting to them, they won’t be able to respond to the engine RPM and vehicle speed in a timely manner.
- Won’t Start– A very common situation with P0562 is running the vehicle and everything is operating fine, and the check engine light comes on (battery light too, usually). You get the vehicle home and when you go to drive it again it won’t start. You know it's a problem with the alternator.
P0562 Causes + Diagnosis: Chevy Camaro
Below are the top causes of P0562.
The alternator supplies voltage to the battery and to all of your Camaro’s electrical system while it is running. Bad alternators can lead to P0562. If it goes all the way bad that’s make diagnosing the code relatively easy. The vehicle won’t start if it runs too long with a bad alternator. How long it would take to drain the battery all the way is going to depend on the battery’s age and driving conditions.
It’s when the alternator begins to intermittently fail it can be tricky to diagnose. Many auto parts stores can test your alternator free of charge. They will also be able to replace your alternator if you need it. It is quite affordable. While you're at it, make sure to replace the serpentine belt.
Chevy Camaro Alternator Diagnosis
2. Voltage Regulator
To prevent overloading, the voltage regulator makes sure that only a set voltage is passed to the charging system. The regulator can prevent too high voltage passing through and even throw out P0562.
3. Wiring a battery
There’s a lot of wiring associated with your Camaro’s charging system. The following wiring should be checked for corrosion, fraying, or poor connections.
- Batterie Terminals– The battery terminals, if left alone long enough, will corrode on any vehicle. When this happens it’s difficult for the charging system to function properly.
- Wiring the Alternator and Battery– Take a look at the wiring from the alternator to the battery. Check to make sure it is not frayed or damaged. Be especially careful with parts that come in contact with other parts of the engine.
- Ground Wire– The ground wire that bolts to the negative battery terminal will bolt to the chassis or engine block. It is important to ensure the connection remains strong and free of corrosion.
- The PCM connection to the Alternator– Check to see if the wiring going from the alternator straight to the PCM looks good. This wiring has a great distance to travel so it can get damaged. The wiring harness's connection to the motherboard should be checked for fraying. It is not the most common wiring problem on our list. You should only investigate it if you are unable to find any other solutions.
4. Bad Battery
While a bad battery can throw P0562, it’s not nearly as likely as an alternator or wiring issue. It is important to have the battery tested before you replace it.
5. Massive Battery Depletion
If your vehicle has aftermarket equipment such as a very high watt stereo system, winch, or something else, it could be placing such a heavy load on the charging system that you’re getting P0562. You must wait at least one minute before you can throw the code.
If something goes wrong, there can be an enormous power loss. If something goes wrong and draws too much power, this can occur.
Chevy Camaro Battery Drain Diagnosis
Conclusion: P0562 Chevy Camaro
It can be difficult to track down P0562. It’s usually the alternator that is at fault. Please leave comments below if you have any additional information. Have fun fixing up your Camaro.
Leave a Reply