Average water pump replacement cost (by car model)
The average cost to replace a water pump in a car is $250-$1500. This depends on what model you have and how much labor it takes. On average, parts cost $150 to 700 while labor costs range between $100 to $800.
- Other repairs are recommended to be done at the same moment as the water pump replacement for some models of cars.
Average water pump replacement cost
|Low: $300||Average: $500||High: $1500|
Average Cost of Replacement for Car Models
Here are some estimates of the cost to replace a water pump for a car with one of the most popular engine types. Another engine might be available in your vehicle, and you may get a different price.
|Model Car||Part costs||Labor Cost||Total cost|
Replacement parts for water pumps
Before you calculate the cost of replacing your water pump, there are some things you should keep in mind. While some parts are essential for installation success, others can be used if you prefer. To calculate the cost of replacing your water pump, you will need to consult a manual.
|Part name||Required?||All Models?|
|The New Coolant||Prioritized||Yes|
|Water Pump Gasket||Yes||Yes|
|Timing belt pulleys||Optional||No|
|Serpentine belt pulleys||Optional||No|
Water pump replacement is a common repair
|Replacment Type||Price range|
|Timing Belt Replacement Cost||$400 – $1500|
|Price of Timing Chain Replacement||$500 – $2000|
|Coolant replacement||From $50 up to $150|
|Serpentine Belt Replacement||From $50 up to $200|
A Mechanic’s Tips about water pump replacement
- Always fill up your car with a new coolant after the water pump replacement if you haven’t changed it for a while.
- You may want to replace the timing belt and timing chain if your water pump uses a timing belt. You should replace every part of your water pump as well.
- You should ensure you flush your coolant system immediately after replacing your water pump. If your car overheats, it could cause damage. It is a good idea to use a vacuum coolant-bleeder. A failed bleeding can result in hot spots in the car’s cooling system, which can result in severe damages to your engine if you are unlucky.
- Never begin a water pump replacement before you are 100% sure that the car’s coolant is cold; otherwise, it can result in injuries as the car’s coolant can reach boiling temperatures
What's a water pump?
Water pumps are driven either by the timing belt, serpentine belt or timing chain. To maintain a constant temperature, the water pump is responsible for moving water from the engine into the coolant.
Is a water pump malfunction serious?
Your engine can be damaged if your water pump fails. A malfunctioning water pump can lead to your engine overheating and seizing up. This is particularly dangerous if the water pump is connected to the timing chain or belt.
What is the average frequency that water pumps require replacement?
It depends on the car model. There is no special schedule to replace the water pump on most car models. Your timing chain or timing belt drive your water pump. It should be replaced as soon as possible.
What can you do to tell if your water pump is faulty?
Coolant leaks and high engine noise are the most obvious signs that your water pump is failing. Find out more about symptoms caused by a bad water pump.
OBD codes that are required for a water pump repair
|P2181: Cooling system performance|
|P0217: Engine Overheat Condition|
Similar Parts for a Water Pump Replacement
Leave a Reply