Average cost of replacing a wheel bearing (front and rear)
Average wheel bearing replacement costs are between $2,000 and $3,000. $150 $500 to 600 depending on your car's model and labor cost. Average price of parts: $50 $Average labor costs are 200 $100 $300
- To replace your wheel bearings, you may require some tools.
- Removing the wheel bearings is different depending on whether the replacement needs to be done at the rear or front axle.
- Your car may not come with separate wheel bearings. In this case, it will be necessary to replace both the ABS sensor and the entire hub.
Average cost of replacing a wheel bearing
|Front Wheel Bearing||Low: $200||Average: $300||High: $600|
|Bearing for the rear wheel||Low: $150||Average: $250||High: $500|
Calculated Wheel Bearing Replacement Costs by Car Model
These average wheel bearing replacement costs are based on the car's make and model. The cost of replacing a wheel bearing can vary depending on the engine you have and what year your car is.
|Model Car||Rear cost||Front Cost|
Replacement of a wheel bearing requires parts
|Part Number||Required?||All Models?|
|All Wheel Bearing||Yes||Yes|
|New Control arm bolts||Preferred||No|
|Copper Paste or Silver Paste||Preferred||Yes|
|Bolts for the new wheel bearing||Preferred||No|
Commonly, repairs are related to wheel bearing replacement
|Replacment Type||Price range|
|ABS Sensor Replacement Cost||$100 – $150|
|Repair of the front wheel hub||$100 – $400|
|Repair Costs for Rear Wheel Hubs||$100 $350|
|CV Joint Replacement Price||$150 $300|
A Mechanic’s Tips about Wheel Bearing replacement
- Before you begin any job, make sure that all the necessary tools are available. A press tool is required for some wheel bearing repairs. To ensure that you don't press on bearings, it is important to have the correct adapters.
- You will need to replace all bolts that are necessary, including the control arm bolts and the driveshaft nut bolts.
- Sometimes wheel bearings are difficult to find. Turn the steering wheel and lift the vehicle to hear any unusual sounds.
- Be sure to properly lubricate every part before you attach it again. When you are replacing suspension parts, you will be glad that it was done.
What's a wheel bearing?
Your wheel bearing allows your wheel to turn smoothly without any friction. Depending on the car you have, there are a variety of wheel bearings available, such as roller bearings or ball bearings.
What is the severity of a Wheel Bearing Failure?
A very worn wheel bearing can result in a car that won’t move at all. Poor wheel bearings will cause excessive heat during driving which may lead to damage in other parts.
How frequently do Wheel Bearings have to be replaced?
No specific time frame is given for wheel bearing replacement. If you begin to hear unusual sounds coming from the wheel bearings they need replacing. The replacement time can differ a lot, and in some cars, you do never have to replace the wheel bearings in the car’s whole lifetime.
How can you tell if your bearings are worn?
A bad bearing on a wheel is most commonly symptomatic by grinding noises or grating, uneven tire wear and play in the wheels. Read more: The symptoms of a bad bearing
OBD codes are associated with Wheel Bearing Replacement
|C0226 – Left Front Wheel Speed Signal Missing|
|C0040 – Right Front Wheel Speed Circuit Malfunction|
|C0227 – Left Front Wheel Speed Signal Erratic|
|C0223 – Right Front Wheel Speed Signal Erratic|
Other parts that can be used to replace a wheel bearing
Leave a Reply