Acura TL P0457: EVAP System – Leak Detected
P0457 This is an example of a common problem code for the Acura TL. This is a reference to the number you receive when you plug your T into a OBDII scanner. It indicates that an Evaporative Emission Control System (EVAPS) leak is P0457. Similar to P0455 for large leaks and P0456 for small leaks, it is also called P0457.
Your TL's driveability is generally not affected by P0457. Certainly anytime the service engine soon light is on though, it’s good to deal with it as soon as possible.
Acura TL Definition
P0457 can be used as an OBDII universal trouble code. It means that no matter what make or model vehicle you have, this code will always mean the same (TL or not). Technically, the code stands for:
System Leak – Evaporative Emission System
The EVAP system collects fuel vapor from fuel tanks and then sends it to the intake to ignite the engine in normal combustion. When there is a leak in the Acura TL’s EVAP system, it will throw the P0457 OBDII Code.
Acura TL - P0457 OBDII Symptoms
The P0457 code is usually not accompanied with any other symptoms than those listed. Smells like gas The service engine soon light.
The fuel tank and fuel filler tubes should smell particularly strong.
The EVAP system is responsible for fuel vapors. If these vapors are leaking from the system, you’ll often smell them faintly while operating the vehicle. But, it won’t affect the way the engine itself runs. The EVAP system is for fuel vapor and does not affect the operation of your TL.
Trouble code TL P0457
P0457 can be triggered by many factors in Acura TL. If your TL has warned you at all in the last few months that the fuel cap was off when it wasn’t, then replacing it would be a great first step.
These are some of the most frequent problems that can throw off the code. They're listed in alphabetical order, from the most likely to the least.
- Hose for Evap System– The hose that carries the fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold can begin to leak. The P0457 error code will be generated. You should look for a hole or a tear in the code. This is the leading cause of code.
- Vapor Canister Purge Valve– One of the most common causes of the P0457 code is the vapor canister purge valve. It’s really easy to replace. You will need to locate and take out a few clips.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit– It is possible for the gasket that attaches the fuel sending unit to the gas tank to go bad. It can lower the tank pressure, which could throw out the code.
- Capacity for Fuel– A bad fuel cap can cause the code to be thrown for sure. Often, you’ll get a message informing you that the fuel cap is off even when it is on. You may not get the message but a P0457. This will save you time and money.
- Fuel Filler Neck– There is often a gasket where the fuel filler neck connects with the gas tank. It is possible for this gasket to dry, particularly if vehicles spend a lot of time in dry environments. When it dries out, the fuel tank can’t hold pressure anymore.
P0457 Acura TL Diagnosis
The mechanic will have a lot of different tools at his disposal in order to determine the cause of your AcuraTL P0457. The most commonly used methods to diagnose this code are:
- The mechanic will usually check for any additional trouble codes. It is easier to diagnose problems if there are more codes. That’s because when they appear together in certain combinations, there will often only be only a few conditions that will throw any combination of codes at one time.
- Once the mechanic has determined the trouble codes associated with P0457, he or she will usually Check out the EVAP System. These include the line and purge valve.
- A mechanic will examine the gas cap and verify that it is able to withstand high pressure. If you are getting a warning that your gas cap is off, even when it’s on, replacing it will more than likely clear this code.
- Monitor and check the pressure in your fuel tank.
- The mechanic will then perform the following tests after completing the above-mentioned checks:
- A smoke test, and they’ll use a scan tool to confirm that the EVAP solenoids and valves are operating properly.
Here’s a pretty good video on diagnosing these leaks from Scotty Kilmer, if you are interested:
Most common P0457 fixes
These are some of the more common TL-P0457 fixes.
- Replacing the gas cap
- Replacing EVAP lines
- Replace charcoal canister
- Change the fuel tank
You should start with the gas caps and move on to the fuel tanks. This is because the gas cap can be replaced the most easily and cheaply.
Here’s a great video on How to test your gas tank.
You will need to find the cause of your Acura TL throwing the P0457 code. This should help. You can add any additional information by leaving a comment.
Do you consider P0457 to be a serious concern?
While P0457 is not going to cause the TL’s engine to stop running, it should not be treated lightly. Fuel leaks could be a problem. You should pay extra attention to the level of your fuel tank and ensure that you're not leaking fuel. It is best to have it checked and/or dealt with immediately.
Please leave comments below if you have any suggestions. Thanks!
Leave a Reply